I’m only a few days away from enjoying my second batch of Tyrannicide American Dry Ale! You can see on my Food Pairing page my preferred meal for a stout. You should be pairing stouts with thick, hearty, meaty meals with a lot of pastries and thick sauces.
Tyrannicide American Stout: (Best served in Fall and Winter)
Appetizer: Cheese Tray with Garlic Toast, Little Smokies and Barbecue Sauce
Entrée: Beef Pot Pie
Dessert: French Vanilla Ice Cream
Some other great pairing for a stout are:
- Cobbler’s Pie, Shepherd’s Pie
- Oven Baked Pork Chops and stuffed pork chops
- Beef Stew
- Roasted Turkey
So, here’s the recipe for my Beef Pot Pies!
(Makes 4 deep pot pies)
- 2/3 cup of flour (for crust)
- 1/3 cup of shortening (for crust)
- 1-2 TBSP cold water (for crust)
- 1lb stew beef
- 1 bag of frozen vegetables
- 1/2 cup of flour (For broth) in 1 cup of cold water, stirred
- 1 cup of beef stock or 1 cup of beef broth
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped finely
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4 ceramic bowls or large mugs
- 1 egg
- Cut beef into 1×1″ cubes. Rub with salt, garlic and pepper.
- In a crock pot, romertopf or slow cooker, add beef, stock and the flour/water mixture. Slow cook until beef falls apart. It may take 4-8 hours on a low setting.
- Add the frozen veggies in the last 30 minutes or so. Fresh veggies of your choice are okay too. The broth should be thick. If it needs it, add more flour/water mixture and cook longer. Add water if it’s too thick.
- In a bowl add shortening and flour. Mix it up with a pastry blender. Add 1-2 TBSP cold water. Keep blending until you have little pebble sized bits of dough.
- Separate and squeeze the dough into 4 balls. Over a flour-sprinkled surface, Flatten them with a rolling pin until they are large enough to fit over the top of your bowls. They should be circular.
- Add the beef/veggie/broth mixture to each bowl.
- Place each pastry topper over each bowl.
- Gently take a fork and impress ridges over the rim of the bowl.
- Beat the egg and bush it onto the tasty topper.
- poke a fork hole into the pastry topper.
- Add all 4 bowls to a cold oven.
- Set heat to 375F and cook for 45 minutes or until pastry topper is golden brown.
- Let them cool for at least ten minutes. Tastry topper should be flaky, but not hard.