- I started brewing beer in 2014 with the Mr. Beer starter kit. This was one of the best gifts I ever received.
Over time, I began learning more about the process and gradually started to replace Mr. Beer equipment with small batch equipment to make 5 gallon batches. I’m by no means an expert, but I have gotten pretty darn good at it.
In January of 2015, I brewed my first all-grain batch. Later, I started making labels and custom bottle caps. In the summer of 2016, I entered my first competition and got fourth place in the Wheat Beer category. Not too shabby for a novice!
I learned almost everything I know from youtube, reading brewers blogs and from getting advice from friends. John Palmer’s book, “How To Brew” is my instruction manual. I’ll try to share all the tricks I’ve learned here too. Some things you just have to screw up and try to find the solution later. I hope you can find the solutions here before you make some of the mistakes I did!
Mike’s Basement Brewery is not a real company or brewery. It is seriously just me making beer in my basement. I don’t sell beer, but I give a lot of it away! For some stupid reason it’s illegal to sell beer without a license.
I hope you’ll like using my blog and you’ll give me feedback and advice and possibly share your favorite recipes!
BTW: “Stremph” is how Charles Barkley pronounces “Strength”. An old friend and neighbor used to tell me, “This drink’s got stremph!”
2018 Goals and Progress
Here’s a quick list of the goals I set for myself at the beginning of the year. I’ll keep this list updated as I reach my goals all year long!
- Set up a tap on my mini-fridge with 2 kegs and 2 tappers.
- Supply (2) 5-gallon kegs of beer for the 2018 Block Party!
- Brew a Barley Wine over 1.090 original gravity, and over 9% alcohol.
- Brew a batch of Revenge Amber Ale using only hops from my two second-year hops vines.
- Plant 4 more hops rhizomes, 2 in front and 2 in back.
- Bring a keg of beer and a case of beer to a Jimmy Carter Happy Hour event at El Bait shop.
- Get a third place ribbon or better in any category at the Iowa State Fair Oenology Competition or the IBU Open Competition.
- Brew one batch of every recipe I have.
- Join Untappd and rate 10 beers.
|Member of the Iowa Brewer’s Union Non-profit club.|
|Member of BrewToad Online Recipe sharing service.|